I am now a naturalist intern in Ohio and I wanted to say that my experience with Nearby Nature was truly wonderful and that I love telling stories about it to staff here! So, THANK YOU! I miss Nearby Nature and Alton Baker Park!
Nearby Nature interns are critical members of our education and park caretaking teams. Their contributions to our work are significant and we love hearing about the great work they go on to do after their time with us.
Available internships and links to job descriptions/applications are described below. Contact us with questions.
1) Nature Guide Interns (spring and fall): Lead interactive nature walks for K-5th graders. Outdoor science, exploring, storytelling, games, and more. No experience required. Training provided. Weekday mornings, April-June or September-December. 6-9 hours per week.
2) Education Program Assistant Interns (spring and fall): Lead interactive nature walks for K-5th graders plus help with family/community programs. Outdoor science, exploring, storytelling, games, and more. Some experience with kids and knowledge of natural history required. Training provided. Weekdays plus some weekends, April-June or September-December. 9-12 hours per week.
3) Daycamp Interns (summer): Help with everything from hikes and bike rides to earth art and bug catching. One week at a time, 4-8 hours per day, June-August. Training provided. 60-120 hours total.
4) Land Steward Interns (winter, spring, summer): Gain hands-on experience in organic gardening, ecological restoration, and public park stewardship through work in the Whilamut Natural Area and our Learnscape Garden and Outdoor Classroom. No experience necessary, although welcome. Training provided. 3-12 hours per week.
5) Kinder Critter Interns (fall, winter, spring): Learn to do natural history programs for young children in costume. Try out our Frog, Owl, Racoon, Duck, and Spider costumes, plus others! Share information, tell stories, and lead movement activities. Also perform at special events such as Nearby Nature’s annual Haunted Hike in October! Training provided. 6-9 hours per week.