Nearby Nature’s Natural Neighbors (K-5th graders) enjoy after school adventures in Alton Baker Park and our Learnscape. Park exploration, natural science activities, earth art, and free time in our outdoor play spaces help students get to know their nearby animal and plant neighbors and deepen their personal connections to the amazing natural community we all call home.
- All outdoors in Alton Baker Park and at Nearby Nature’s Learnscape. Children have a myriad of opportunities to connect with nature in our unique outdoor classroom spaces (Hazelnut Hollow, Squirrel Kitchen, Pollinators’ Playground, and Frog Haven) and natural play areas (Nature’s Builders Playspace, the Dig Inn Dirt Box, River Run, the Nest, the Sound Garden, and our wonderful sandbox). They also spend lots of time exploring the park!
- Students should always come dressed for the weather. Waterproof coats, rain boots, rain pants, hats, mittens, and/or warm coats will be essential (as needed). Covered outdoor areas are available in case of inclement weather.
- Max 12 K-5th grade children per program.
- Each program day is staffed by a paid staff instructor plus at least one assistant/intern/volunteer with a minimum ratio of one adult for every six children.
- Staff instructors are all experienced educators who have spent many hours outdoors teaching children. See instructor bios here.
- All staff instructors are First Aid/CPR certified, have passed background checks, and are vaccinated for COVID-19.
- 2:30-5:30pm, Tuesdays/Fridays (option to enroll for one or two days per week).
- Flexible drop off and pick up first hour and last 30 minutes.
- Winter 2023 and Spring 2023 seasons open for registration (Winter = January 9-March 24, no program February 3 or March 17/Spring = April 3-June 16).
- $275/Winter Season Tuesdays for members, for non-members $325.
- $225/Winter Season Fridays for non-members, for non-members $265.
- $275/Spring Season Tuesdays for members, for non-members $325.
- $275/Spring Season Fridays for non-members, for non-members $325.
- Note that we have changed our enrollment sessions from month-long to season-long. If you would prefer to start later or end earlier than our season’s dates, please indicate this in your online registration form or contact us and we will accommodate you if space is available.
- Membership costs $55/year and provides program discounts for Wonder Keepers, Natural Neighbors, No School Days, and Daycamps and free admission to Nature Quests, Green Start Play Days, Citizen Science Saturdays, and the Haunted Hike. Make sure your membership is current as of the start date of your first program. Contact us to check your status as needed.
- Scholarship aid is available through our Every Child Outside Fund! Nearby Nature believes all children should have affordable access to outdoor adventures in nature nearby. To apply for aid, fill out the Scholarship section in our online registration form and use the coupon code ECO at online checkout so you will not be charged until we arrange your financial aid.
- When you register online, you will create an account and your registration information will be saved for future programs.
- A minimum non-refundable deposit of $35 is required to hold your program space (unless you are applying for financial aid — see above). Full tuition will be due a week in advance of your program start (or immediately if you are enrolling mid-session). Payments can be made by credit card online or in person/by mail with check or cash.
- Note: Enrollment is on-going. We will prorate your final fees due according to when you enroll.
- Returning families — please review and update your online information yearly.
- If registering online or paying a deposit in advance is not possible for you, or you would prefer to make a deposit to make a payment by check or in cash, please contact us to make arrangements.
Nearby Nature hopes your schedule goes as planned and you will not need to withdraw your child from any programs. We do understand, however, that sometimes cancellations are unavoidable. If you need to cancel a registration, please do so as far in advance as possible.
- Cancellation by 6pm on Monday two weeks before your program = full refund minus the non-refundable $35 deposit ($10 for scholarship recipients).
- Cancellation by 6pm on Monday one week before your program = 50% refund of camp tuition.
- No refunds for cancellations after 6pm on Monday one week before your program.
Cancellation by us may happen if there is insufficient enrollment seven days prior to a program. You will be notified promptly and your full payment refunded.
Contact our Garden and Programs Manager, Grace Chollar-Webb, at 541-687-9699 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or problems with registration. Please leave a phone number with your voicemail or email if you are having registration problems so that we can solve these as quickly as possible.