- Wonder Keepers (ages 3-5) – Participants in this program enjoy nature discovery in our Learnscape and out in Alton Baker Park. Sensory adventures, cooperative activities, storytelling, garden exploration, earth art, and free time in our outdoor play spaces help young children develop a personal connection to the natural world, make new friends, and develop confidence through independent exploring.
- Natural Neighbors After School (kindergarten-5th grade) – Participants in this program enjoy after school adventures in Alton Baker Park and our Learnscape. Park exploration, natural science activities, earth art, and free time in our outdoor play spaces help students get to know their nearby animal and plant neighbors and deepen their personal connections to the amazing natural community we all call home.
WHO: Max 10-12 children per program, taught by experienced nature educators.
- Wonder Keepers (preschoolers ages 3-5). Application required.
- Natural Neighbors After School (kindergarten-5th grade). Students age 5 okay for this program if enrolled in kindergarten.
- Wonder Keepers: 8:30am-12:30pm, Monday/Wednesday/Friday (option to enroll for one, two, or three days a week). Interested families will apply online (prior to full payment) and we will contact you to discuss our program. Flexible drop off and pick up first and last 30 minutes.
- Natural Neighbors After School: 2:30-5:30pm, Tuesdays/Fridays (option to enroll for one or two days per week). Flexible drop off and pick up first hour and last 30 minutes.
COST: Scholarships available! Application for scholarships and current costs available when you register online.*
REGISTRATION and PAYMENT: When you register online, you will create an account and your registration information will be saved for future programs. Please read our cancellation policy on this page below. Returning families — please review and update your online information yearly. Note: Enrollment is on-going. Simply pay the $35 deposit and we will prorate your final fees due according to when you join the group. Scholarships available! When you apply for aid online, use the coupon code ECO at online checkout and you will not be charged until we arrange your financial aid.
*If registering online or paying a deposit in advance is not possible for you, or you would prefer to make a deposit to make a payment by check or in cash, please contact us to make arrangements.
Alton Baker Park and the Nearby Nature Learnscape
All programs happen completely outdoors, rain or shine. Students should always come dressed for the weather! Our program site provides access to bathrooms, drinking water, parking for drop-off and pick-up, and covered areas in case of inclement weather.
Staff instructors are all experienced educators have spent many hours outdoors teaching children. All staff are First Aid/CPR certified and all staff are background checked and vaccinated for COVID-19.
- A minimum non-refundable deposit of $35 is required to hold your program space.
- Full payment is due a week in advance of your program start (or immediately if you are enrolling mid-session). Payments can be made by credit card online or in person/by mail with check or cash.
- Membership costs $55/year and provides program discounts for Wonder Keepers, Natural Neighbors, No School Days, and Daycamps and free admission to Nature Quests, Green Start Play Days, Citizen Science Saturdays, and the Haunted Hike. Make sure your membership is current as of the start date of your first program. Contact us to check your status as needed.
Nearby Nature believes all children should have affordable access to outdoor adventures in nature nearby. Scholarship assistance is available through our Every Child Outside Fund. To apply for aid, fill out the Scholarship section in our online registration form. Donations to the Every Child Outside Fund are also welcome!
Click on the following links for more information about our programs.
Nearby Nature hopes your month goes as planned and you will not need to withdraw your child from any programs. We do understand, however, that sometimes cancellations are unavoidable. If you need to cancel a registration, please do so as far in advance as possible.
- Cancellation by 6pm on Monday two weeks before your program = full refund minus the non-refundable $35 deposit ($10 for scholarship recipients).
- Cancellation by 6pm on Monday one week before your program = 50% refund of camp tuition.
- No refunds for cancellations after 6pm on Monday one week before your program.
Cancellation by us may happen if there is insufficient enrollment seven days prior to a program. You will be notified promptly and your full payment refunded.
Contact our Garden and Programs Manager, Grace Chollar-Webb, at 541-687-9699 or email email@example.com if you have any questions or problems with registration. Please leave a phone number with your voicemail or email if you are having registration problems so that we can solve these as quickly as possible.