COVID-19 Update — Please see our Health and Safety Policies for details on how we are keeping program participants and staff safe. Modifications to these policies may need to happen as guidance from local, state, and national officials changes. Thanks for your patience during this challenging time. See also our Air Quality Monitoring Policies.
WHAT: School year adventure, play, nature, science, art, & gardening! New theme every month! Standards-based curriculum that complements in-school learning.
WHERE: Two outdoor locations: Alton Baker Park and Nearby Nature’s Learnscape and Hendricks Park
WHO: Youth ages 4-5 (priority to children from the families of Essential Workers) and youth ages 6-10 (target audience children enrolled in Eugene 4J’s Online Academy, homeschoolers, or others not enrolled in traditional school), minimum of 5 and max 10 children per program, taught by experienced nature educators.
WHEN: Month-long sessions, half & full day options (depending on the season), one or two days/week, next sessions April 7-30 and May 5-28 (enrollments accepted on a rolling basis as space available).
HOW MUCH: $125/month members, $147.50/month non-members. Scholarships available! Apply when you register online.*
REGISTRATION and PAYMENT: When you enroll online, you will create an account and your registration information will be saved for future programs. Be sure to read our cancellation policy on this page below. Returning families — please review and update your online information yearly.
WHAT PARENTS ARE SAYING: “In the pandemic, we’ve seen two different preschools close, and I’ve felt very uncomfortable sending my four year old to indoor childcare. After six months of no childcare, I was worried that my introverted kiddo might struggle with new teachers and kids but he LOVED Wonder Keepers from day one. When he heard he was going back another day, he literally jumped for joy. He keeps asking me when it’s a nature school day and has been so excited to return. Thank you, Nearby Nature!!!!” — Sarah, Wonder Keepers Mom
- Wonder Keepers (ages 4-5) – Participants in each month-long session of this program will enjoy one half day of nature discovery per week (April -May 2021 — Wednesday afternoons) in the Learnscape and out in Alton Baker Park. Sensory adventures, cooperative activities, nature storytelling, garden exploration, Earth art, and free time in our outdoor play spaces will help young children develop a personal connection to the wonders of the natural world as well as social and independent exploring skills. (Note: Priority for enrollment goes to Essential Workers, see details below.)
- Natural Neighbors (ages 6-10) – Participants in each month-long session of this program will enjoy one half day adventure per week (April -May 2021 — Friday afternoons) in Alton Baker Park and our Learnscape. Nature study tools and resources such as nets, magnifiers, cameras, iNaturalist, and art materials will help participants get to know their nearby animal and plant neighbors, create seasonal chapters for their own park nature guides, and deepen their personal connections to the amazing natural community we all call home. (Note: Kids can participate in both of our school-aged programs that are one day a week in Jan-March, but only one of our school-aged programs in future months if class meets twice per week.)
- Wild Outside (ages 6-10) – Participants in each month-long session of this program will enjoy one half day adventure per week (April -May 2021 — Thursday afternoons). An emphasis on youth-led discovery, time for longer hikes, opportunities to dive deeper into favorite life science topics, and a daily dose of creative nature play will ensure that each program provides an educational as well as a healthy break from indoor learning projects. (Note: Kids can participate in both of our school-aged programs that are one day a week in April-May if desired.)
Spring 2021 Dates and Themes
- Session 6: April 7-30
Winged Wonders – Discover what’s fine about feathers and what’s marvelous about migration! From herons as tall as toddlers to raptors who rule the sky up high, learn about the fascinating lives of local birds. Build nests, peek at beaks, check out feathers, and look for bird babies. Create bird-inspired art, music, and theater!
- Session 7: May 5-28
The Green Scene – Celebrate the magic of all things spring green! Go on wildflower wanders and tall tree treks. Learn about green growing things from the inside out and enjoy garden treats, play blossom bingo, go on a fairy finders hike, and paint with plants.
- Wonder Keepers: Alton Baker Park and the Nearby Nature Learnscape
- Wild Outside: Hendricks Park
- Natural Neighbors: Alton Baker Park and the Nearby Nature Learnscape
Each location has its own unique environment to explore and learn about — from the Willamette riverside in Alton Baker Park to the tall fir forest in Hendricks Park. All sites provide access to bathrooms, hand-washing facilities, drinking water, parking for drop-off and pick-up, and covered areas in case of inclement weather. All programs happen rain or shine.
Group Size and Ages
Enrollment is capped at 10-12 students per program. We love getting to know your kids! Your child will get lots of individual attention. Nearby Nature School programs serve kids in two different age groups — Pre-K (ages 4-5) and School-Aged (ages 6-10).
Two staffers run each program — one lead staff instructor and a trained volunteer or assistant instructor. Staff instructors are experienced educators and volunteers have all participated in our program training sessions. All staff are First Aid/CPR certified and all staff and volunteers are background checked.
Spring 2021 Program Costs and Important Notes
April-May (Session 6 & 7):
- Wonder Keepers — Meets Wednesday afternoon, (Alton Baker Park), 12:30-4:30 pm, $125/month for members or $147.50/month for non-members
- Wild Outside — Meets Thursday afternoon, 12:30-4:40 pm (Hendricks Park), $125/month for members or $147.50/month for non-members
- Natural Neighbors — Meets Friday afternoon, 12:30-4:30 pm (Alton Baker Park), $125/month for members or $147.50/month for non-members
Other Important Notes:
- A minimum non-refundable deposit of $35 is required to hold your program space.
- Full payment is due a week in advance. Payments can be made by credit card online or in person/by mail with check or cash.
- The target audience for our Wild Outside and Natural Neighbors programs is children who are enrolled in Eugene Online Academy, homeschoolers, or others not enrolled in traditional school.
- Because our Wonder Keepers preschool program is considered Emergency Childcare according to the Oregon Department of Education–Early Learning Division, priority for enrollment must go to the children of Essential Workers (first responders, emergency workers, health care professionals, critical operations staff or essential personnel, and individuals working outside the home). Although all are welcome to request enrollment at any time, priority for registration will go to Essential Worker families first (see details when you register online). We will contact you to let you know the status of your enrollment and will reimburse your deposit (or add you to the waitlist if desired) if there is no available space for your child. Any additional open spots after our Essential Workers priority period will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Flexible Drop-Off & Pick Up:
Due to COVID-19 health and safety concerns, and in order to avoid long check-in lines, we are encouraging families to take advantage of our flexible drop-off and pick-up times (included in your registration, no additional charge).
- Morning Only Programs — Drop off your child any time between 8:30 am and 9 am and pick up between noon and 12:30 pm.
- Afternoon Only Programs — Drop off your child any time between 12:30 pm and 1 pm and pick up between 4 pm and 4:30 pm.
- All Day Programs — Drop off your child any time between 8:30 am and 9 am and pick up between 4 pm and 4:30 pm.
- Membership costs $55/year and provides program discounts for Daycamps and free admission to Nature Quests, Green Start Play Days, Citizen Science Saturdays, and the Haunted Hike. Make sure your membership is current as of the start date of your first program. Contact us to check your status as needed.
Nearby Nature believes all children should have affordable access to outdoor adventures in nature nearby. Scholarship assistance is available for our programs at Alton Baker Park and Mount Pisgah through our Youth Scholarship Fund and at Hendricks Park thanks to the Friends of Hendricks Park. To apply, fill out the Scholarship section in our online registration form. (Note — If you decide to decline our scholarship offer, all but $10 of your deposit will be refunded.) Donations to the Scholarship Fund are also welcome!
Click on the following links for more information about our camps.
- Instructor Bios
- Information about Volunteering
- Communicable Disease Management Plan/Illness & Sanitation Protocols
All Nearby Nature registrations include a $35 non-refundable deposit. This deposit holds your space and helps cover the cost of enrolling your child and preparing for programs.
Nearby Nature hopes your month goes as planned and you will not need to withdraw your child from any programs. We do understand, however, that sometimes cancellations are unavoidable. If you need to cancel a registration, please do so as far in advance as possible.
- Cancellation by 6pm on Monday two weeks before your program = full refund minus the non-refundable $35 deposit ($10 for scholarship recipients).
- Cancellation by 6pm on Monday one week before your program = 50% refund of camp tuition.
- No refunds for cancellations after 6pm on Monday one week before your program.
Cancellation by us may happen if there is insufficient enrollment seven days prior to a program. You will be notified promptly and your full payment refunded.
Note: In case of a local, state, or nationally mandated COVID-19 cancellation of all programs, a prorated refund or program credit will be offered if closure is unavoidable and permanent.
Contact our Education Coordinator, Grace Chollar-Webb, at 541-687-9699, ext. 101 or email email@example.com if you have any questions or problems with registration. Please leave a phone number with your voicemail or email if you are having registration problems so that we can solve these as quickly as possible. Thanks!